We build bikes we like to ride, so we figured it only makes sense to put on a race we’d love to compete in. Our mission is “to make mountain biking more awesome” and we generally think racing is a little too serious, so we’re switching to a more-awesome order of fast and fun and making the three most important things: 1. Fun, 2. Fast, 3. Safety*.
*Our lawyers would like to make sure you’re aware that this is obviously a “tongue-in-cheek” statement created by our marketing “department.” Your safety is obviously our number one priority... or something like that.
There will only be three categories: Men, Women, and Team.
About the Badges:
- Podiums for each category will be for the top five riders from their respective category.
- Each podium spot will get:
- A super-awesome, limited edition The Good, the Rad, and the Gnarly cowboy hat
- Custom trophy
- Killer prizes from our co-sponsors
- Additional prizes will be given out to all racers just for showing up and being awesome.
- All racers will recieve:
- A free pair of limited-edition The Good, the Rad, and the Gnarly Handup Gloves
- 40% off a pair of Pit Viper Sunglasses to make sure you're lookin' good for your race
- Included in each Racer Packet will be the Trail Board, listing all of the trails that must be ridden (similar to a bingo board).
- A list of the trails and copy of the Trail Board will be listed on the website two weeks prior to the event. Plan on riding everything from the greens to blues to the double blacks, ya know: all of the good, the rad, and the gnarly trails.
- Each trail will have two pink flamingos. Inside these pink flamingos are the “badges,” which are actually stickers.
- Take one badge (and only one! There will be the exact correct number, so if you cheat, you’re ruining it for everyone) and place it on your Trail Board, under that trail you’re on.
- Yes, we will make sure the flamingos are in an obvious place, where it is safe to stop. And yes, all of the badges will be unique to each trail.
- Pro Tip: Wear shorts with pockets or a bag that lets you quickly access your Trail Board.
- The event will begin with a LeMan’s-style footrace start, where you will sprint to your bike 50 yards away.
- Choose your first trail for the day—should you choose the closest trail or head down to one that would be less crowded?
- Pro Tip: Get your strategy down before race day!
- Collect all 25 badges on your Trail Board. First to pin it, wins it!
- There are ways to ride the trails where you can collect up to 5 badges per lap, or only two.
- Depending on your strategy, you will be able to collect all 25 badges in 8-10 laps.
- A recommended lap strategy will be provided two weeks prior to the race that you can use, if planning ahead isn’t your thing.
- For the Men & Women categories, riders will compete solo in an attempt to check off all the trails on the Trail Board.
- For those competing in the Team category, you will get ONE Trail Board and each teammate will trade off riding the laps, so that together you attempt to ride all of the trails on the Trail Board. So: one teammate on the mountain at a time.
- Pro Tip: Maybe don’t save the hardest trails for last, when you’re tired.
- You win by being the first to ride all of the trails on the Trail Board.
- A judge at the bottom will verify you’ve successfully collected all the unique badges and
crown cowboy-hat you the winner.
- The podium goes five-riders deep, so even if you didn’t win, you’ll be recognized for getting 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, donning your super-awesome, limited edition The Good, the Rad, and the Gnarly cowboy hat and a sheriff’s badge with your finishing place.
Pit Viper After-party:
- “If you’re not first, you’re last” is not really true, but if you happen to be the actual dead-f*ing-last (DFL) rider to ride all the trails and collect all the badges in your category, you too will get one of the super-awesome, limited edition The Good, the Rad, and the Gnarly cowboy hats and a sheriff’s badge with your finishing place: DFL. But hey, you rode all of the trails and that’s awesome!
- Pit Viper is bringing the noise for the podium ceremony and after-party. This will commence at 7 pm at Zeb's down the hill from the resort (directions here). Here, the winners will be
crowned cowboy-hatted, beer will be drank, and lots of free stuff from us and our co-sponsors will be given away.
It’s the wild, wild west... there are no rules! (except if we think you’re being an a*hole or you’re cheating, we’ll kick your butt out of town!)